Skip to main content

14 juli 2023

Residence permits for knowledge and talent

The intention behind the permits issued for knowledge and talent associated with residency, is to facilitate Dutch companies in hiring proficient foreign experts for their workforce in the Netherlands. This provides a chance for employers to expedite the process of issuing work permits for highly skilled immigrants so they can work in the Netherlands. In this category, we will discuss the criteria of 4 different types of knowledge and talent permits.

Residence permit intra-corporate transferee

When an employee of a company outside the European Union (EU) is transferred to a location in the Netherlands as a trainee, manager or specialist, the employee needs a residence permit known as the “residence permit intra-corporate transferee.” This permit allows the employee to live and work in the Netherlands for a limited period of time.

To qualify for this permit, the employee must meet certain criteria. For example;

  • he or she must have worked at the company outside the EU for at least three months and there must be a contract between the company outside the EU and the company in the Netherlands stipulating the transfer.
  • he or she has not previously been transferred to the Netherlands in the past 6 months.
  • if you are a doctor or architect, then you must show that you are allowed to practice this profession in the Netherlands.
  • if you work in health care, then you must be in the BIG register.

Residence permit European blue card

As a highly skilled worker within the EU, you may be eligible for an EU Blue Card. This card is for people doing highly skilled work and is designed to make it easier to work in other EU countries. To qualify for the EU Blue Card;

  • you must have a diploma or a program in higher education of at least 3 years.
  • your salary must be above a certain level, which can vary between countries.
  • your employment contact is valid for at least 12 months.
  • are you a doctor or a lawyer? Then you must demonstrate that you are allowed to practice this profession in the Netherlands.


It’s important to understand that there are certain requirements for obtaining these visas and permits. For example, for each of the residence permits mentioned above, either high skills, scarcity of workers, passing the civic integration exam abroad or a minimum income is required for granting the permit.

Residence permit for paid employment (not the single permit)

For those who do not require a GVVA but still need a work permit, they can apply for a residence permit for paid employment. This can be done if they are working in specific jobs such as:

  • Mass media correspondent
  • Non-privileged military or civilian personnel
  • Under a Headquarters Agreement
  • On a Dutch seagoing vessel or mining installation
  • Spending leave in the Netherlands after work on a seagoing vessel or mining installation
  • Recovering from illness after work on a seagoing vessel or mining installation
  • Looking for work on a seagoing vessel or mining installation or allowed to work without a work permit (TWV).

Overall, it’s important to understand the requirements and regulations surrounding visas and permits when coming to the Netherlands to work. The GVVA serves as an efficient way for foreign employees to legally work and reside in the country while providing opportunities for individuals with necessary skills to positively contribute to the Dutch economy.

Residence permit for researcher according to Directive (EU) 2016/801

If you start working as a researcher according to the guidelines of Directive (EU) 2016/801, you are eligible for a residence permit. This permit gives you the right to work and reside in the European Union during your research project.

To qualify for the residence permit, you must meet certain criteria, such as;

  • you have a higher education degree.
  • You are going to work in one of the following positions:
    • Paid researcher.
    • Unpaid researcher with a grant.
    • Doctoral (Phd) candidate.
  • you plan to conduct research at a research institute in the Netherlands.
  • you have a valid passport
  • you have proof of funding and submit all required documentation. The exact requirements may vary from country to country, so make sure you are well aware of the specific requirements before you apply.

Residence permit for essential start-up personnel

Obtaining a residence permit for start-up personnel is essential for the growth of start-ups in the Netherlands. If an employee plays a crucial role in the development of a start-up, he or she may be eligible for this permit.
To qualify, the employee must receive a salary and employee participation. The purpose of the “Residence permit for essential start-up personnel” is to encourage talented entrepreneurs and specialists from abroad to settle and contribute to the economic growth of the Netherlands.

Requirements to receive a residence permit knowledge and talent

If you want to live and work in the Netherlands as a foreigner, you need a residence permit. One way to obtain a permit is through the “knowledge and talent arrangement. To qualify for this arrangement, you must meet a number of requirements. First, you must be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient knowledge and/or talent in a field that the Netherlands needs. This could be in the field of science, technology or culture, for example.

Second, you must be able to demonstrate that your employer is willing to pay your salary in accordance with the prevailing market value for your position. You must also be able to demonstrate that there are no suitable candidates from the Netherlands or the EU available for the same position. Finally, you must be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient financial resources to live in the Netherlands without depending on government support. If all these requirements are met, a residence permit may be granted. It is important to start collecting all the necessary documentation and information on time to make the process as smooth as possible.

Are you ready to take your talents abroad?

In short, the residence permits for knowledge and talent are designed to allow Dutch employers to bring talented foreign professionals to their team in the Netherlands. With 4 different types of permits available, there are options for a range of highly skilled professionals looking to work in the Netherlands. While meeting the specific requirements may be challenging, obtaining a knowledge and talent permit is an excellent opportunity for personal and professional growth. 

Dutch Employer of Record in the Netherlands can help you figure out which permit applies to you and how to go about the application process. Get in touch with us or create a profile to see what Dutch Employer or Record can do for you.

Contact us

Set up a profile now
We can help you set up your team within 48 hours.
Get started

Sarah - Dutch Employer of Record

Still have questions?
Call Sarah. She has most of the answers.
Call Sarah